The Mormon Mirage: A Book Review
By Latayne C. Scott
The Mormon Mirage is a reluctant yet powerful story of one woman who has stepped quite literally out of a life that was based on a work of fiction. It was a story she believed and loves to this day I would imagine based on the heartfelt compassion she demonstrated for the Mormon people.
I am not Mormon, I have never been Mormon, however I have relatives who are and that is the closest I will ever come to a first hand experience.
Yet Latayne Scott was there and she believed.
This book, in fact the author herself, as will any person, group or publication that differs in opinion with the LDS church will be labeled ANTI-MORMON, but don’t kid yourself, this book will give you the history and facts on the LDS Church that for some reason are so inflammatory and divisive,… just look at the blog posts I get. Mormonism is simply not the same as Christianity. The LDS Church does so many good things, but Latayne chronicles her journey to discovery of Biblical Christianity, not what was conceived in the mind of Joseph Smith. That wont be popular.
The 3rd edition is the latest version of her book, in this edition you will also find her more recent research and opinions. Mrs.Scott writes as if she were there with you, talking to you over a cup of coffee in a conversational and straight forward manner. There are many references to support her statements, as she is not simply talking from her own personal experiences, but from LDS Doctrine as well. So please, feel free to follow-up and do your own research drawing your own conclusions.
- A Gentle Apostasy: Mrs. Scott’s personal history and conversion story.
- The Joseph Smith Story: The of life Joseph Smith from Mormon, Non-Mormon, and Ex-Mormon sources.
- The Book of Mormon: ” The Most Correct of Any Book”?: Information about the Book of Mormon, how it was transitioned, its contents, what it means to Mormons today.
- One Bible, Two Books of Commandments, and Unlimited Wives: How Mormons view the Bible and the translations used by the LDS church. The history, contents and teachings of the LDS Scripture “The Doctrine and Covenants”.
- The Perils of the Pearl: The history, contents and teachings of the LDS Scripture “The Pearl of Great Price”.
- The Precarious Summit of Continuing Revelation: The different groups who follow Joseph Smith’s teachings. The nature, and mechanics of LDS Revelation. Joseph Smith’s successors and continuing revelation.
- The Mormon Pantheon: Topics covered in this section are the eternity of man, the idea of pre-existence, the Mormon view of God ,The belief that one may attain godhood (or goddesshood), The Mormon view of God as a progressive being, the Adam-God doctrine, the Mormon view of Christ, his conception, marriages, other LDS doctrine, the Mormon view of the Holy Ghost, the Mormon view of Satan and evil spirits. the Mormon view of angels as resurrected and translated beings.
- Salvation and Exaltation: The idea of Salvation vs Exaltation, The Mormon view of Baptism, Baptism for the dead and Proxy Baptism. The different types of Endowment for Exaltation, Temple Ceremonies, Sins which prevent Exaltation, The Mormon Doctrine of Resurrections.
- Issues and Challenges Facing Mormonism in the 21st Century Part One
- Issues and Challenges Facing Mormonism in the 21st Century Part Two
Addendum-Evangelizing Mormons in the 21st Century
For Further Reading
She is compassionate but doesn’t cut corners. The Mormon Mirage is a powerful book that digs deep into Mormonism and its culture. I like that it has been redone for a new generation and notes changes that have occurred within the LDS Church. What is revealed is just how different LDS Doctrine is from Christianity. What is also revealed is just how much love Scott has for the Mormon people and her struggle in leaving the LDS.
If you don’t know much about the LDS church this may surprise you, as it does many Mormons. Scott is not writing this book in retribution for betrayal but to reveal the truth that needs to be told.
About The Author
Latayne C. Scott is the award-winning author of over a dozen books, published by major Christian publishers such as Zondervan, Moody, Baker, Word and others. She has published approximately 15 books and recently has released “Latter Day Cipher”.
Synopsis: When rebellious Utah socialite Kirsten Young is found murdered in Provo Canyon with strange markings carved into her flesh and a note written in a 19th Century code, questions arise about the old laws of the Mormon Church. Journalist Selonnah Zee is assigned the story—which quickly takes on a life of its own. Even before the first murder is solved several more victims appear,
each one more mysterious than the last.
Adding to a slew of other distractions, Selonnah’s cousin, Roger, has recently converted and is now a public spokesperson for the Mormon faith. But paradoxically, Roger’s wife Eliza is struggling to hold onto the Mormon beliefs of her childhood. If something is really from God, she wonders, why does it need to be constantly revised? And could the murderer be asking the same questions?
Web Site: http://www.latayne.com